Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day in the 5th grade

Nothing says, "You are loved" more than getting valentine's from all of your students. :) Even though the only things we got covered academics wise today were morning work and social studies, it was still a fantastic, loving, happy, energetic day!

Starting off the day by getting two bouquets of flowers and a bunch of chocolates is how every day should start! Then we we had time to exchange valentines, getting more goodies and cards from my students (most of them addressed to Ms. Yoshi, the nick name that has stuck since day 3).

Considering I teach 5th grade and Valentine's Day has the possibility to include drama and tears, the day went pretty well. One boy showed up dressed in a button up shirt carrying a gigantic balloon (like 3 feet long) and a very nice vase with flowers in it. Walked straight and confident into the classroom and set it down, in front of the entire class, on one of the girl's desk. It was big news. I must congratulate him because that takes major courage to do something like that. However, after recess was done and I was walking out to the play ground to pick up the kids, the girl comes up to me and says, "Ms. Yonash, I have a question. If you don't think you and your boyfriend go together well, shouldn't you break up with them?" "Yes, (insert student's name here) I definitely think that if you aren't feeling it, you should be kind to the other person and let them go." Then she responds in a very quick manner, "Okay, because I broke up (insert other student's name) and everyone is mad at me and they don't understand why I did it!" "Well, it's your life and your decision. They don't need to understand your feelings dear. They will get over it." Oh drama, drama. Haha!

We also confiscated two love letters--and yes, children still use "Do you like me too? Check yes or no" And they happen to be very good at poetry, "Roses are red, violets are blue. Your eyes are pretty, and I like you!"

 A sampling of the goodies I received today!

 This and a collection of chocolates were from one of my students who I am constantly hounding about turning in missing working and getting assignments in on time. Guess she likes me after all! :) 

 This is adorable! :) 

From two of my students: The second and third bouquet of flowers I have ever received. 

No comments:

Post a Comment