Friday, January 4, 2013

Settling in

Well the last two days have been filled with roaming around the base and reading. The weather has been really crappy here and I haven't felt up to walking all the way to Ansbach in the pouring rain. Also, the bus only comes by the base about four times a day: 6am, 10am, 1pm, and 4pm and it just hasn't worked in my schedule. I had every intention of going Friday morning, but my body decided it would wake me up at 4am and not let me go back to sleep for an hour.

The BOSS Center (Better Opportunities for Single Soldiers) has been wonderful to me. The guy who is in charge of the center is nice enough to let me use it while I'm here. The place is wonderful and I'm not sure why more people don't hang out down there. They have their own make-shift movie theater with very comfortable chairs, a billiards/ping pong room, a dance floor area, a game room, and wifi!!!! So I will be spending many evenings down there. Also, they take random trips too! So I'm still waiting to hear if I am able to go on those since I'm not a soldier.

I am still working on getting an address, I apparently have to go through the school to do that, so hopefully by Tuesday or Wednesday I will have an address down. I also might buy a pre-paid phone--I would only pay for outgoing calls and incoming calls are free.

On Friday, I decided to look into the Outdoor Recreation Office and see if I could take advantage of some of the ski and sightseeing trips. Well, I can! The guy working there was very nice and helpful! So I signed up to go skiing Saturday to Steinplatte with lessons, transportation (3 hours one way), rental equipment, and ski lift pass it was only $108. I thought that was pretty good! They also have sightseeing trips that I will probably take advantage of later this month and into February.

So, look for an update tomorrow around 4pm your time and you can read about all my adventures learning to ski on the Alps!

No comments:

Post a Comment