Saturday, January 19, 2013

Ansbach and Wurzburg

Well it's the start of our 3 day weekend and I have to travel and do something exciting! So I decided to walk the 5 km to Ansbach and walk around there and then catch a train to Wurzburg and spend the rest of the day there. The city bus doesn't run out to the base on the weekends, the base shuttle doesn't run on the weekends, and the BOSS (Better Opportunities for Single Soldiers) Shuttle doesn't let civilians on it, so I could either pay 13 euro to get a taxi or walk the hour and a half to Ansbach... I chose walking.

The majority of the walk to Ansbach was easy and clear of snow. I didn't get too lost until I got into the city but I followed the bus route and was able to find my way to the Brucken-Center (their mall). I walked around there for a little bit and grabbed some lunch. Then I wondered around Ansbach.

 St. Ludwig Church in Karlsplatz square. Built from 1834-1840 

 St. Johannis Church. Built during the 15th Century

 Ansbach's last remaining piece of the wall 

 St. Gumbertus Church. Built in Romanesque Style in the 15th Century 

 Cute little apartments above the shops 

 H&M is a very popular store in Germany 

Herrieder Tower (Clock Tower) Built in 1750 

Then, since it was only 1:30pm here I decided to walk to the Bahnhof (Train Station) and catch a train to Wurzburg; a nearby city that was recommended by my cooperating teacher. The train ride was about an hour and it was a straight shot there. 

Wurzburg was VERY easy to navigate and the city had tourist maps posted all over the place. I felt very comfortable and safe there the entire time. Wurzburg is the last town on the Romantic Road that goes through Germany. It was founded by the Celts in 650 BC and is at the center of the wine growing region with vinyards around the area. 

                                                                            Juliusspital

  
 Juliusspital: The Foundatoin Relief

 Layout and description of the area 

 Augustiner Church 

 Marien Chapel 

 The Market Square 

 Side of the cathedral 

 Neumunster built in the 11th Century. It is built over the stone coffin of St. Kilian--an Irish Missionary who was murdered here. 

 Up close 

 I walk into the Cathedral and see this amazing view. 

 I turn around and see this HUGE organ 

 To my right, this beautiful piece of work 

 Then I look up and see this incredible ceiling. Seriously though, the picture does it no justice at all. My jaw hit the floor and I couldn't close my mouth the entire time I was in this place. It was amazing to see this artwork. 

 Up close at the ceiling 

 I have no idea what this says but it's pretty 

 Aahhhhh so cool! 

 I couldn't get enough of the ceiling 

 The front of the church 

 Up close at the front of the church 

 The alter area 

 Amazing work 

 More awesome-ness 

 Mary and baby Jesus

 The other side of the church 

 This ceiling is so gorgeous!

 It's like the heavens open up! 

St. Kilian Cathedral (Dom) 

 Cool Clock 

 Statue before the bridge 

 I looked down a side street and saw a cute little garden area 

 Cool Fountain

 Maria Heimsuchung 

 Würzburg's Old Main Bridge was built 1473–1543 

 Statues like this line the bridge 

 People believe that if they put their initials and the initials of the one they are with, they will be with them forever. An idea brought over from France 

 Another statue 

 The Marienberg Fortress castle on a hill

 Art Gallery at the end of the bridge 

 A look back at the main city 

 Neubaukirche--Formerly a church 

 Even Europe has dollar stores! 

 The Wurzburg Residence (Palace) commissioned by two prince-bishops in the 1700's. It suffered a lot of damage in WWII but was completely rebuilt. 



 Entrance to the Court Gardens 

 Information and layout of the area 

 Entrance doors, unfortunately I was an hour late to see the amazing inside area. 

 Court gardens 

 Impressive sculpture in the gardens 

 Pan from Greek Mythology is my guess 

 Back of the palace 

 Funny Statue 

 Walkway in the back. I could only imagine how beautiful it must be in the spring 

 City walkway 

 Another St. Johannis Church 

Front of the Residence 

 Up close 

Statue in the front

Once it started getting darker, I decided to go shopping around the area and grab dinner. I have decided that all German's feet are tiny because they didn't go above a size 8 in any store that I went into. Then I caught the train back to Ansbach and the taxi back to the base. There was no way I was going to walk an hour in the freezing cold and dark!

The rest of the week will be spent finishing the 1000 piece puzzle I found in my apartment, doing laundry, and cleaning in preparation for my roommate to move in! 

1 comment:

  1. These pictures are all amazing. Love the churches ceiling. Glad you are enjoying yourself and being adventurous. Just be careful.

    ReplyDelete