Wednesday, January 2, 2013

1st day here

It's going to take a little bit to get settled here.

Last night while I was sorting all of my stuff away, I fried my new alarm clock b/c the voltage wasn't correct. My CT said that she has extra alarm clocks that I could borrow. Luckily, my laptop charger goes up to 240 volts so no worries there! 

Like I said, my housing is free and in the barracks so the quality of everything isn't the greatest. I'm already looking forward to sleeping in my own bed again. Luckily, I did find a place right next door to my apartment where they have wifi, but it's only open until 4:30pm (9:30am US time). There is a bowling center that also has wifi and I *think* that it's open until 10pm (3pm US time). 

My CT picked me up this morning and took me to the place to get my ID; however, the secretary at the school gave her the wrong form for the principal to sign. So right now I'm a visitor for two weeks until the principal gets back. Unfortunately, that means that I can't buy groceries until I have an actual ID. So my CT took me with her to the grocery store to get some food until then. 

We also drove back down to downtown Ansbach so she could show me where the mall, shops, and bus stop are. The speed limit on that road was from 60-100mph! CRAZY! I want to drive it myself, but you need a to pass a drivers test. For people without US drivers license it cost 1500 euros to take the classes to drive (mom you thought paying $350 was expensive!) They take driving very seriously here! I will probably figure out the bus schedule and explore Ansbach tomorrow. My CT invited me to a school pot luck on Friday that I will go to and meet people. 

Not quite sure what I'm going to do for the rest of the day. I will probably walk around the base and get my barrings on everything. It's only noon here, but I'm completely exhausted! My internal clock hasn't set in yet, even though I slept for 13 hours! It is weird to not have a phone, it's going to get some getting used to.

Just found out that Netflix is "Not in your part of the world yet" and no other tv sites work either. Sigh, I don't know what I'm going to do with my life! I only have two books! This is going to be a very long 3 months.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment