Friday, March 22, 2013

End of Student Teaching 5th grade

"Kids don't remember what you try to teach them. They remember what you are." 
--Jim Henson 

And my kids will forever remember me as Ms. Yoshi with my magical Yoshi Powers! 

Today was the day. My students were preparing themselves and me for this all week. "You're leaving us!?!? WHY? How could you? Please stay? Put me in your suitcase? You can't go! I'm going to superglue you to me. I will kidnap you before you leave!" The list goes on. 

I was so incredibly blessed to be with such an amazing, wonderful, and hilarious group of students. The last day went very well, but there was little focus. My group of students are incredibly dramatic and had to list off all of the "lasts" throughout the day. "This is the last time you will put in our grades, this is the last time that you will sit at that desk, this is the last time that you will walk with us to Art, etc." 

I went was with them all day except for recess. We played Wisconsin Bingo during Social Studies time with both classes. The students got to learn some fun facts about Wisconsin and I got to cheer on the Packers--two of my students were very reluctant to even write the word "Packers" Haha. They threw me a wonderful party at the end of the day and we just hung out for 45 minutes listening to music, making a train ride throughout the classroom, and dancing.

 The wonderful gift basket that I received from my co-op and the class 

 One student made me a scarf, then they got me a Rainbow Elementary shirt and a water bottle 

  I am now a collector of reusable bags and my co-op got me one and had the students all sign it. :) 

 My class made me a book of letters for me. They are the sweetest kids EVER

 A nice set of school supplies and stamps because I loved to stamp their planners at the end of the day 

 Lots of chocolate to console me 

 One group decided to do a skit for the Lewis and Clark Webquest and they made an additional skit that was mostly just candid commentary of the expedition, but this was at the end of it. :) 

 The set of cards that I got from the other 5th grade class. 

 The other 5th grade class wrote me a song set to the tune of "Call me Maybe" 

 A few drawings that I received today 

Yoshi bookmark that I made for the students to have. So many of them loved it and said that they would keep it forever. 


 Then it was time to start packing up and the tears from the students started when they realized that it was indeed the LAST time that I would walk them out. I started crying as soon as they did because I felt like I was breaking their little fragile hearts. What really got me bawling was when my silly student who is typically the class clown starts crying. Well, then it was just a waterfall from there on out. I walked the kids to the bus with every other class and teacher staring at us (I even got some hugs from students in other classes). I hugged each of my students and the other 5th grade class (40 students in all) good bye before they got on the bus. Every student has to ride the bus to school and the buses all get the "okay" to leave at 2:30pm. Well, let's just say I may have single-handed delayed the buses from leaving because I had to say good-bye a couple times to some of them that were just emotional wrecks like me. 

I got home and cried some more after reading their letters to me. I will miss them greatly and I wish and hope that I will see them again in life! They touched my heart in so many ways and I love them so much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment